Pedestrian road traffic accident claim
How to make a pedestrian road traffic accident claim.
What to do if you’re hit by a car as a pedestrian?
- Seek medical help immediately
- Report your accident to the police
- Make a note of your injuries
- Get the drivers details. You need their name, phone number, and their driving licence and insurance details.
- Ask any witnesses to provide their contact details.
- Get the make, model and registration of any vehicles involved.
- Take photos of the scene if you can.
- Seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible.
Can I make a pedestrian accident claim against a driver?
Can you sue if someone hits you with a car?
The answer to both these questions is usually yes. If you are injured as result of the negligence of a person in charge of a vehicle you will normally be able to sue them for compensation.
What if I was partly at fault?
Even if you think you may have contributed to the accident in some way you may still be able to make a claim. A court may find you were at partly fault. This would then affect the final compensation amount. However the court would still have to find the other party negligent.
How to make a pedestrian road traffic accident claim
Th first thing is to have good evidence. See above – What to do if you’re hit by a car as a pedestrian? If you think you haven’t got any of the evidence then try to collect it as soon as possible. Memories fade, people move, wreckage gets cleared away.
Consult a legal expert
As laid out below a compensation claim may need to take into account many factors. You need a specialist advisor to make sure you claim for all the compensation that you are entitled to, and that you will doubtless need in the aftermath of such an accident.
What losses can I claim after being hit by a vehicle?
Clearly the most obvious loss that can be claimed for after being injured by a vehicle is any direct injury to your body. You can see our personal injury compensation calculator here. But there are usually many other factors that can be taken into account:
- Immediate loss of earnings whilst off work recovering from the accident
- long term loss of income if your earning potential is diminished as a result of the accident
- Stress, trauma and other mental health issues arising from the accident
- medical support after the initial recovery, often needed with serious injuries
- Adaption of your home to accommodate any long term injuries or disablement
- Professional care such as nursing, cleaning etc
- Rehabilitation costs such as physiotherapy and other forms of therapy
How much pedestrian road traffic accident compensation could I receive?
As you can see from the above valuing an injury is a complex process. Each claim usually has many factors with values that vary from claim to claim. This means that the best way to get an idea of what your claim may be worth is to speak to us as soon as possible. We have considerable experience in all types of road traffic accident claims. This means we will be able to give you a good estimate of the value of your claim.
Why choose Adam Law Solicitors?
We fully understand that being injured by a vehicle is often a life changing event. Our team will do our utmost to ensure you get all the compensation you are entitled to, we know you will need it. See some of our clients reviews for the many successful claims we have made for injuries resulting from traffic accidents, you can see some of our clients reviews here.